Sunday, August 1, 2010

Citron Tea Chiffon Cake 柚子茶戚风蛋糕





I have totally forgotten that I still have half a bottle of the citron tea which was kept in the fridge, until yesterday when I cleaned the inside of my fridge. As I have always wanted to try 赤堀博美's recipe, this was a good opportunity to use up some of the citron tea. Other than changing the Orange Marmalade to Citron Tea in the recipe, I did not make other changes.


The cake turned out better than what I had expected. It brought out the light flavour of the citron, the texture was light and as soft as cotton. It tasted even better if taken together with a little bit of Citron jam . For chiffon cake lovers , I am very sure you will like this cake.


Recipe: adapted from Q超润戚風

(A)
~80 g egg yolks ( about 4 yolks)
~30 g sugar
~100 c.c salad oil
~100 c.c water/juice
~160 g plain flour (I used superfine flour) > sieve twice
~1/4 teaspoon salt
~130 g citron tea paste
~2 tablespoon Cointreau (optional) I don't have so I used plain water )

(B)
~ 7 egg whites (120 g)
~ 40 g caster sugar


Method:
1) Place egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl ,use hand beater to stir until sugar dissolves and egg yolks turn into pale colour.

2) Add in salad oil, stir well, then water, Cointreau,water/juice, and citron tea, whisk well to emulsify the oil.
3)Pour flour into Step (2) and mix well incorporated.

4) In another clean bowl, beat ingredients B until stiff but not hard.
5) Pour 1/2 portion of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture stir well, and pour the remaining 1/2 egg white mixture into step 5 until well combined.

6) pour batter into a 20 cm chifffon cake mould.

7) Bake in preheated oven at 170 °C for 50 -60 minutes.

8) Remove cake from oven , invert the pan immediately. Demould the cake when it is completely cool.

2 comments:

  1. why are you using 4 eggs yolk and 7 eggs white instead of 4 eggs white? most of the other recipe that i seen ask for same ratio of egg yolk and egg white

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine Loh, thank you for dropping by my blog. You have asked a good question why this recipe is asking more egg whites than the egg yolks. Kindly go to my latest post http://veronteokitchen.blogspot.sg/2013/12/chiffon-cake-why-do-i-use-more-egg.html. Hope to hear from you soon.

      Delete