Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pumpkin Bread (2)








This is my 2nd attempt of making pumpkin bread. I adapted this recipe from "The Second Book of Baking for Beginners"  by Carol.  I converted from toast to make into small buns.  They are soft even after I keep them to the nex tday, they still taste good.

Maybe you like to see my older post, please click here.  If you ask me which recipe is better, I will say both are good.  Carol's dough is  slightly sticky when handling because of honey (I think so). Any way do not worry too much,  it is not a big  problem.

Recipe: (Straight method)

Ingredients:
150g pumpkin (steamed and mashed, weighed and get 150g only)
280g bread flour
1/2 teaspoon instant dried yeast
1 egg  (about 50g)
20g honey
1/8 teaspoon salt
30g unsalted butter ( cut into cubes)
30 ml milk

Topping:
some melon seeds.

Method:
1)  Combine all the ingredients except butter into a mixing bowl.  Beat  until a rough dough is formed.  Add in butter and continue to beat until a smooth and elastic dough is formed.

2)  Cover with a piece of damp cloth, leave to proof for 50-60 minutes. To test whether it is well fermented, poke a hole with your finger in the centre, the hole should not bounce back.

3) Punch out gas with your fist. Divide dough into 10 equal portions s\and roll into round balls.  Cover and  rest for 10-15 minutes.

4) Flatten dough and wrap in filling (to your liking - 30g each) and  leave to proof for 45 minutes.

5)  Brush with egg wash, and decorate with melon seeds.  Bake in preheated oven at 180 C for 12- 15 minutes.

Note: Always remember to add liquid (water /milk) gradually during the process of beating (kneading), let the flour absorb the water slowly.


8 comments:

  1. wow..they look so nice and perfect. Are u using red bean pase for the filling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am using red bean paste which I bought in Malacca. I like their red bean paste because it is very fine and not very sweet. I am too lazy to cook.lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice colour..Love to taste it too. Like your new blog appearance..

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the natural coloring too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I'm a big fan of pumpkin and chanced upon your blog which interestingly features creative pumpkin creations! I'm thinking if the pumpkin bread has a strong pumpkin taste? Was thinking of making pumpkin paste along with the pumpkin bread such that the pumpkin taste would be stronger! My family has previously cooked pumpkin porridge, pretty yummy, but the pumpkin taste was not very strong. Had love to hear your take on this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi, Janice,nice to hear from you. i agree that it is rather difficult to buy pumpkin these days that gives a strong 'pumpkin' taste. It can be due to the different species of pumpkins, perhaps those grown in Taiwan or Japan have better taste. The one I used was grown in Malaysia. Pumpkin does not have the strong frangance like yam. What you can demand from pumpkin is the degree of sweetness.
    Hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! i was thinking of making pumpkin puree for the pumpkin buns. yes pumpkin is great for its natural sweetness and richness in antioxidants! If you're keen, I would like to share this pumpkin recipe with you! I frequented this Korean porridge shop alot for its pumpkin porridge :) http://www.soshiok.com/recipe/hobakjuk-pumpkin-porridge-recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Janice thank you for sharing the link with me. May be one day you can take me to the Korean porridge shop. hahaha.. Just kidding. Is it ok for you to let me know the name of the shop? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete