Friday, April 4, 2014

EZ Char Siew Buns







Kimmy's EZ Char Siew Buns surprised me because I have never come across this type of bun before. Today I picked up all the ingredients and gave it a go.

The buns turned out soft and moist. However, I thought it could have been better if the serving of char siew is more generous, will try to improve on that during my next attempt.


Recipe – Adapted from Kimmy’s EZ Char Siew Buns

Ingredients: (makes 12 buns)

-         350 gm bread flour (I used 300gm bread flour + 50gm wholemeal flour)
-         50 gm sugar
-         3/4 tsp salt
-         1 3/4 tsp instant yeast
-         210-220 ml ice cold water
-         30 gm butter
-         100 gm char siew - chopped 
-         1 stalk spring onions - washed and chopped

Steps:

- In a mixing bowl, mix and knead all the ingredients except butter, char siew  and spring onions into a soft dough.
- Add in the butter and knead until the dough is smooth, soft and pliable.
- Add in char siew and spring onions and mix well.
- Shape into a dough and cover to rest for 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 2 equal parts.  Round up and divide each portion into 6 equal portions.
- Round up the dough into ball, lightly spray the top with water, then coat with sesame seeds.  Place onto prepared baking tray.
- Rest for 50 minutes or until double in size.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 degrees C for 12-15 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove and cool on wire rack. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Veronica! I saw this on Kimmy's blog too and I thought it is a rather unusual way of making char siew buns. But whatever it is, it turned out beautiful and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, I'm looking for a part time baker for my new start up biz..not sure if you are keen to join? you can mail me at n_anne@hotmail.com if interested.

    ReplyDelete